Permits, General Rules & Ordinances
Burn permits are available for residents at the Fire Administration building during normal business hours (Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm). After hours or on weekends, you may go to Fire Station 1 to pick up a permit. Residential burn permits will expire after 3 days (the current day plus 2 days after). Businesses must go to the Fire Administration building during normal business hours for a business burn permit. The Fire Administration building is located at 283 Old Nashville Highway. Station 1 is located at 169 Stones River Road. There is no cost for a residential burn permit.
Swimming Pool Permits
Swimming pool permits are available at the Codes, Engineering and Stormwater Building, 5175 Murfreesboro Road, during regular business hours (Monday - Thursday, 7:00 am - 5:30 pm). The cost is $50. When applying for a swimming pool permit, you need to bring a plot plan of their lot. If you do not have a plot plan, you can obtain one at the Rutherford County Register of Deeds office, 615-898-7870.
Permits for building, fences, sheds and other improvements are available at the Codes, Engineering and Stormwater Building, 5175 Murfreesboro Road, during regular business hours (Monday - Thursday, 7:00 am - 5:30 pm).
- Shed permits $50
- Deck permits $50
- Sign permits (costs vary, based on type and size)
- Moving permits (e.g., house or trailer) $150
- Permits for temporary structures or temporary signs (30 days only, costs vary)
entire code including restrictions and violations here. Some highlights include:
- No stagnant swimming pools or other water that would breed mosquitoes.
- No grass, weeds, and other undesirable vegetation to grow in excess of 1 foot in height within 100 feet of any property line, residence, business, industry, or public right-of-way.
- No trash, rubbish, and refuse to accumulate on his or her property to such an extent that a nuisance is created.
- Premises shall not become or remain in a filthy condition, or permit the use or occupation of same in such a manner as to create noxious or offensive smells and odors in connection therewith, or to allow the accumulation or creation of unwholesome and offensive matter or the breeding of flies, rodents, or other vermin on the premises to the menace of the public health or the annoyance of people residing within the vicinity.
- No disabled and/or inoperative motor vehicle to be parked on property for more than 2 weeks.
- A fence or barricade is required where there are swimming pools.
- Unfit structures need to be repaired or removed, or the city may intervene.
- No loose dogs. Pets should be provided clean environment with plentiful fresh water, food and shelter.
- Shhhh… please be a considerate neighbor, especially between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. See chapter 2 about offenses against the peace and quiet to learn more..
- No parking on the street.
- Ordinance 2011-01 Denial and Revocation of City Issued Permits for Non-Payment of City Fees and Taxes.
If you don’t pay money owed to the city, your operational permit could be denied or revoked.
- Ordinance 2011-07 Damage to Water Meters
If you break it, you buy it.
- Ordinance 2010-01 Allow Yard Sale Signs in Right-of-Way Allowed Thursday morning through Sunday night.
Can not cause traffic hazard, block views, or pose distraction. no larger than six square feet high.
- Penalties for Parking Violations
Traffic citation cost is $50, plus $10-20 in court fees depending on whether you challenge and win/lose.
- Ordinance Number 2010-23 Amend Zoning Ordinance - Signs
Extensive rules regarding signs, but bottom line is no signs in a public right-of-way.
- Ordinance Number 2010-24 Amend the La Vergne Municipal Code Regarding the Citizens Forum
You have the right to speak. Citizen Forum to be held prior to Board of Mayor and Aldermen workshop and regular meeting. Sign-up no later than 15 minutes prior to meeting.
- Ordinance Number 2009-04 Amend False Alarm Fines and Fees
If there are more than 3 false alarms in one place for police or fire, there will be fines.